Saturday, May 26, 2007

Rhapsody



I was driving the kids around the other day in the minivan, and I thought I'd open their mind to some semi-classical music. I found the classic 1959 recording of Leonard Bernstein playing Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra on my iPod.

They were very impressed and interested, and Josh asked if he could se it on Youtube. I didn't think they would have it, but I was wrong. It's not the same performance, but it's darn close, and it still shows the magnificence of the piece and the brilliance of conductor/pianist Leonard Bernstein. This piece woke me up to classical/orchestral music back in high school. It was only years later that I discovered Bernstein's contributions to musical theater. I was (and am) a big fan of Stephen Sondheim's work, and Bernstein gave Sondheim his first Broadway gig... writing the lyrics to Bernstein's music for West Side Story. Amazing stuff.







No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin