Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sweet Jane



I've been a Jane Siberry fan for a while now. Her album When I Was a Boy is a masterpiece, and its opening trio of songs, "Temple," "Calling All Angels" (featuring k.d. lang) and "Love Is Everything," still knocks me out every time.
I wouldn't go as far as some... There's a whole community of people who think she's a goddess (some, I think, literally). But I think she's a unique voice... truly like nothing I've ever heard.
Jane is also a bit of a strange bird... She certainly follows her own muse wherever it may lead her. Lately it's led her to sell all of her possessions, change her name to "Issa" and establish a "self-determined" pricing policy for downoading .mp3s from her website.
I think it's pretty revolutionary, and I think you should check it out. Here's her statement about what "self-determined" pricing is all about. She writes, "You decide what feels right to your gut. If you download for free, perhaps you'll buy an extra CD at an indie band's concert. Or if you don't go with your gut feeling, you might sleep poorly, wake up grumpy, put your shoes on backwards and fall over. Whatever. You'll know what to do." And later... "Things to ponder. Not too long, though. Life is out there waiting.I am making a choice to work this way and take full responsibility for whatever it may bring to me. You make your own decision and stand by it, too. This is not a guilt trip. Feel no pressure."
Funny thing; I downloaded her entire catalog (I had 2 of her albums already), and I've been sleeping like a baby. I guess that "feels right" to my gut.
So, go check it out. Thanks, Jane... uh, I mean Issa.

1 comment:

heather said...

haha, this is funny. the other funny thing is that i just found my (free/stolen) track of Calling All Angels the other day, and have started listening to it again. It's such a beautiful song, and i still love k.d.'s voice. brilliant.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin