Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Letter I Thought I'd Never Write

February 4, 2008

Dear Gary and PCC Family,

I am writing to announce my resignation. March 31 will be my last day as PCC’s Pastor of Music/Arts. It has been a tremendously fulfilling eight years here at PCC, and I have nothing but gratitude as I look back on all that God has done.

Luanne and I have great expectations as we seek God’s plans for our family’s next season of life and ministry together. We also have great peace. Even though we do not currently have a “next step” in place, we know that we are safe in the hands of our loving God, and that when God leads, He provides. Thank you for your support and prayers as we follow God’s call.

In the eight years we’ve been in the PCC community, we have learned and grown so much. We have learned what it means to really live in authentic biblical community. We have made friends that will last for a lifetime. We have grown in our marriage, our parenting and our personal spiritual lives. I have grown in my understanding and abilities in worship leading and pastoring. Thank you for your patience, your grace and the freedom to learn and grow.

We came eight years ago as a young family of four, and we have grown to a rowdy family of six! You have loved Joshua, Jacob, Emily and Zachary, taught them, mentored them, coached them, babysat them, laughed with them, made them welcome in your homes, prayed for them and modeled for them what it means to be part of God’s family. Thank you for loving our children.

Through Peninsula Covenant Church, I have discovered the Evangelical Covenant Church! I have been delighted to make my spiritual home in this wonderful denomination. I have been licensed, I have worked my way through the Covenant Orientation process, and I am well on my way to being commissioned. As a direct result of your generosity, I have been able to attend many conferences and classes, seminars and workshops. Thank you for your profound investment in my education and training.

You sent Josh, Jake and me to Mexico on the inaugural Family Mission Trip back in 2005. You sent me and other members of our Worship Arts community to Hungary and Romania last fall. Thank you for sending the gospel forth through us and for enabling us to experience firsthand the family of God throughout His world.

I could list all the events and special times I remember: Christmas in the Village, eight different Easter Sundays, Tim Zimmerman and the King’s Brass concerts, Beautiful Days, concerts, the Summer Ministry Project, Mercy Café, Good Friday tenebrae services, eight Christmas Eves, Zoom, Upward Basketball awards nights, Vision Sundays, 40 Days of Purpose… The list goes on and on.

I could list the people I have seen transformed, the marriages saved, the broken relationships healed, the terrible tragedies turned into peace and joy… God is truly good!

On a very personal note, I can say this: I am not the man I was when I came to PCC eight years ago. God has worked through many of you to shape me, heal me, free me and grow me. I am who I am today because of God’s powerful work through you. I will be forever grateful. Thank you for loving me.

Luanne and I trust our faithful God to take care of PCC in our absence. We know that as you continue to seek His ways, the best days are still to come! The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. (Job 1:21) And we trust that He is going to take care of our family too. He’s up to something really great, and we can’t wait to see what He will do in the upcoming months.

Much love and many thanks,


Matt Nightingale
Pastor of Music/Arts

5 comments:

Suzie said...

You know we are still praying for your family! We look forward to seeing what God has for you next! Exciting, sad, scary times! And yes, God is always faithful and will provide. We miss you guys!

Suzie

Kim said...

Wow! Didn't expect to see this. How are you? How was Worship Connection? We were in FL, sorry I had to miss it this year. I'm glad our worship director finally made it, though!

Congrats on Joshua's birthday - all three of mine turn 10 this year, too! Gotta do something really special...you gave me some good ideas. :-)

Jenell & Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenell & Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh Matt...I was totally crying as I was reading this! I am going to miss your family SO much, as I know all of PCC will. You may not realize it, but your family has been such a blessing in my life and I am grateful that I could learn from every member of your family!
-Chelsea

madonna said...

Matt & LuAnne,
Vick and I are sooooo saddened by your letter. We are totally shocked. Your music and your honesty and your support of us has been such a blessing to us. We will miss your music and style of worship. We have found no worship pastors music that fullfills us as much as yours has. Where ever you go let us know. We will be there to say good-by on the 30th of March. We'd like to see you another time but we know you will be indidated with people rushing to see you. God Bless you and the family in what ever comes your way.
Love,
Vick and Madonna

Blog Widget by LinkWithin