Thursday, February 28, 2008

Stream of Semi-Consciousness

I told God that I wouldn't purchase any more music - CDs or downloads - until I had another job. Do they have a 12 Step group for Music Addicts? I'm serious...

Time is flying like never before. I can't even keep track of the days. Looking back at my eight years at PCC, I figure I've planned and led approximately 1,000 worship gatherings. Now I have 12 left. That's crazy.

I head for Boston next. I'll be there almost all of next week, just hanging out with the staff and congregation of a church there. I'm really excited to see what God will do.It's a really strange feeling to have no idea where we'll be living in three months. East Coast? West Coast? Midwest? Who knows? It was easy to romanticize this walk of faith before I found myself actually walking it.

There are so many movies I want to see right now. Luanne and I saw Into the Wild the other night. Really powerful and sad. Reminded me again of the power of community. As this guy was dying, alone and afraid, he said something like "Happiness must be shared." I couldn't agree more.

Larry Norman died on Sunday... Wow. He was a legend, no doubt. But I don't even know his music that well. I think the most significant song of his that I remember from my childhood is "I Wish We'd All Been Ready," which was later covered by dc Talk. Man, that song used to scare the daylights out of me. That was back in the day when my little Free Methodist church was playing the "end times" films on Sunday nights. (Who remembers A Thief in the Night and A Distant Thunder? I would lie in bed at night and all my mom and dad and then say "Never mind." I was just sure I would be "left behind" at the rapture. We'll leave that discussion for another time.) I remember a few other songs, too, now that I think of it: "Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music" and "Why Don't You Look Into Jesus?" Here's a video of Larry playing with my buddy Mike Roe. And, finally, here's NPR's 2-minute tribute.

Check out this church: Sojourn Community Church in Louisville, KY. I really appreciate their emphasis on community, their understanding of worship and their reaching out to the arts community in their city. How cool is The 930? That's the kind of thing I could get really excited about.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Boston? Did you say Boston?? That's less than 2 hours from me. Maybe Adrienne & I can catch up with you while you're in town? I'm sure we can convince you that God is calling you to the East Coast. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin