Tuesday, April 1, 2008

For the Sake of the Call

When I was in college I sang in and then directed a traveling music group called Sound Investment. We had a lot of fun, ministered to thousands of people, and learned a lot about ourselves and relationships with one another. One of the songs we used to cover was Steven Curtis Chapman's "For the Sake of the Call." I was thinking about its lyrics today. Who knew 15 years ago how applicable they would be to my life today?

*********************************
Nobody stood and applauded them
So they knew from the start
This road would not lead to fame
All they really knew for sure was Jesus had called to them
He said "Come follow me" and they came
With reckless abandon they came

Empty nets lying there at the waters edge
Told a story that few could believe and none could explain
How some crazy fishermen agreed to go where Jesus led
With no thought for what they would gain
For Jesus had called them by name and they answered

We will abandon it all for the sake of the call
No other reason at all but the sake of the call
Wholly devoted to live and to die
For the sake of the call

Drawn like the rivers are drawn to the sea
No turning back, for the water cannot help but flow
Once we hear the Savior's call we'll follow wherever he leads
Because of the love he has shown
And because he has called us to go we will answer

We will abandon it all for the sake of the call
No other reason at all but the sake of the call
Wholly devoted to live and to die

Not for the sake of a creed or a cause
Not for a dream or a promise
Simply because it is Jesus who calls
And if we believe we'll obey

We will abandon it all for the sake of the call
No other reason at all but the sake of the call
Wholly devoted to live and to die
For the sake of the call

*********************************

Funny, when I was 21 I thought I knew what that song was all about.

::EDIT::

I realize I may sound like some big martyr here or something. "Oh look at me... I'm so obedient and godly..." The cool thing, and what I want to emphasize is that this is not about ME at all, but about the call of the Lord. And Luanne and I have found that God made it so clear... so obvious to us in so many ways over the last year... that we couldn't say NO any more! Believe me, I tried. Every time the idea of leaving PCC would come into my head, I would immediately shut it down... But God gently and persistently and compellingly continued to nudge and prod and woo... until it became intolerable to stay. So while I *did* take a big leap of faith, and while we *are* in the middle of some real uncertainty, we finally feel some relief. We feel at peace knowing that God is the one who has called us out and is calling us into something new.

3 comments:

Carol said...

I have experienced this feeling of knowing that a change was to happen in my work life. For a year I lived with the sense that a door was opening and that I needed to be ready. What happened was that I walked from a job that had me ministering to a lot of people in a shallow level to retirement and a ministry that required a deeper focus to a family in crisis. Looking back it all seems so obvious, but in the middle of it all my unease seemed uncharacteristic.
Keep up the blogging!

Suzie said...

We know exactly what you mean Matt. We heard that same call and it had us move out of California (something we never dreamed of doing!) It is great to serve a big God, who lovingly guides us into the places that He knows are best for us, even if we don't see it at the time!

Justin said...

I've never known someone or especially a couple with such singular confidence in their call.

It reminds me of God's relationship with Abraham,"go to the place I will show you."

Blog Widget by LinkWithin