Sunday, August 10, 2008

Segregated Sundays?

Eugene Cho , pastor of Quest Church - an innovative Covenant church here in Seattle - had a really interesting post on Wednesday about multi-ethnic churches. He shares a CNN article called "Why Many Americans Prefer Their Sundays Segregated." It's fascinating to me because it talks a lot about Pastor Paul Sheppard of Abundant Life Christian Fellowship in Mountain View. His church is very well-known in the Bay Area, and he is something of a legend because he is an African-American man pastoring a multi-ethnic church. (Multi-ethnic, or interracial, is defined as a church in which at least 20 percent of its membership belongs to a racial group other than that church's largest racial group.)

For me, another fascinating reference is to Rev. Rodney Woo, the Chinese-American pastor of Wilcrest Baptist Church in Houston. His church has quite a story of coming to terms with who they are and who they are called to be.

I was talking with Greg Yee this last week at Mt. Hermon about Access and our dream of being a multi-ethnic church. He was excited with me, but he helped me to see some of the challenges we face as well. I'm thrilled that our family is joining a primarily Chinese-American church, and I long to see the Kingdom of God reflected in and through us in the city of Houston. But I know that I'm naive and idealistic. I have no idea what to expect... all the joys and trials that await us. But we wade into the water of the unknown, believing that it is God's will that we live and work together in harmony for His glory, even if it might sometimes be awkward and challenging. The joys will make it all worth it.

Anyway, you can read the Cho's post here and let me know what you think. I am excited to begin this new chapter in our lives, but I'll be the first to humbly admit I don't know what in the world we're really in for.

1 comment:

Suzie said...

I wonder if we can ever know what we are really in for? If Jon and I had really known what we were really in for, we might have stayed comfy in CA! Tell Luanne, when she hits the culture shock of living in the south, she can call me anytime! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin