Monday, December 22, 2008

Best Music of 2008

I *love* end-of-the-year Best lists... music, film, theatre, whatever... I love 'em. Here are some music lists to pay attention to...

Paste Magazine
Rolling Stone
Amazon
NPR: All Songs Considered
Pitchfork
Popmatters
Q
Spin
Uncut

And here are some year-end thoughts from some bloggers I follow...

High Gravity (Josh Jackson from Paste Magazine)
The Hurst Review (Josh Hurst)
Ramblings on Music, Texas, Etc. (David Kennedy)
Razing the Bar (Andy Whitman)

Now on to MY favorites. Before I list them, I have to list a few caveats. #1 - I can't possibly listen to all the music released in a year. #2 - I am not able to afford half the albums I want to buy. #3 - These are not necessarily the BEST. They're my favorites. Got it? Good. Also, I cannot possibly put these records in order. Alphabetical order is the only possible solution.

[EDIT: I'm gonna bust in here and talk about a great record. It's a late arrival. In fact, I just got it in the mail today. It's called "The Talk That I Have Wanted" by my brother Micah's band, God's Lonely Man.



I'm only three songs in and it's kicking my butt. His voice is awesome and the songwriting is really great. I've heard these songs in demo form, but they're really sounding fresh and good in finished form. I don't even know how to tell you to get this, but get it. I'll get more info for you.]

Favorite Albums Released In 2008:

1) @#%&*! Smilers - Aimee Mann
2) 19 - Adele
3) All I Intended To Be - Emmylou Harris
4) Ampersand EP - Derek Webb & Sandra McCracken
5) Apple Tree - Katie Herzig
6) The Art of Disassembly - David Greco
7) Between the Beautifuls - Hawksley Workman
8) Cardinology - Ryan Adams & The Cardinals
9) Charmed and Strange - Yoav
10) Don't Do Anything - Sam Phillips
11) Evolver - John Legend
12) Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
13) Hideaway - The Weepies
14) Holy Ghost Building - 77s
15) Los Manlicious - Hawksley Workman
16) Re-Arrange us - Mates of State
17) A Thousand Shark's Teeth - My Brightest Diamond
18) To Survive - Joan As Police Woman
19) Viva La Vida - Coldplay
20) Volume One - She & Him

Favorite Albums Released Prior To 2008 That I Discovered In 2008:

1) 100 Days, 100 Nights - Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
2) Asleep At Heaven's Gate - Rogue Wave
3) Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
4) Between Daylight and Dark - Mary Gauthier
5) Boxer - The National
6) Cease To Begin - Band of Horses
7) Floating World - Anathallo
8) Frank - Amy Winehouse
9) Gravity | Love - Sandra McCracken
10) Kala - M.I.A.
11) The Last Broadcast - Doves
12) One Cell in the Sea - A Fine Frenzy
13) Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
14) Real Life - Joan As Police Woman
15) The Reminder - Feist
16) Rufus Does Judy At Carnegie Hall - Rufus Wainwright
17) Shine - Cyndi Lauper
18) The Story - Brandi Carlile
19) Version - Mark Ronson

Favorite Albums I Haven't Heard Yet (But Know I Will Love) Released In 2008:

1) Street Map [EP] - the innocence mission


Most-Listened-To Songs In My iTunes In 2008:

1) You Are the Living Word - Fred Hammond & Radical For Christ
2) Viva La Vida - Coldplay
3) Swing Wide the Glimmering Gates - Andrew Osenga
4) 4 Minutes [feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland] - Madonna
5) Fake Empire - The National
6) Rehab - Amy Winehouse
7) Handlebars - Flobots
8) Lake Michigan - Rogue Wave
9) When It Was Over - Sara Groves
10) Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us - Sam Phillips
11) Stop Me [feat. Daniel Merriweather] - Mark Ronson
12) Beat It [feat. John Mayer] - Fall Out Boy
13) No One's Gonna Love You - Band of Horses
14) Umbrella [feat. Jay-Z] - Rihanna
15) Antarctica - The Weepies

Most Highly-Anticipated Albums In 2009:

Only three really matter at this point...

1) Written in Chalk - Buddy & Julie Miller (March 3)
2) No Line on the Horizon - U2 (March 3)
3) The Fray - The Fray (February 3)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin