Friday, April 24, 2009

More Twitter

Yesterday I sort of rediscovered Twitter. Along with everyone else, apparently. Twitter has grown 700% in the last year. It's crazy. And I'm enjoying it, following dutifully along on Tweetdeck.

I'm also a little overwhelmed. How in the world can I keep up with this? Should I even try? And who cares what I'm doing right now? Who really needs to know?

I'm also convicted. What else could I be doing with my time? How often do my kids see me with this blasted computer on my lap? Do I spend as much time living my life as I do tweeting about it?

Relevant Mag wonders what Twitter is doing to us. It's a good article. Read it here. My good buddy Tony Gapastione wrote a thought-provoking post on his blog a few days back. Check it out here.

I started to write a song today. (I used to do that, before I was consumed with Facebook, Twitter and blogging.) The first part goes like this:

I have 1,223 friends
So why do I feel so alone?
Sitting here in the glow of the screen,
Afraid to pick up the phone.

I think this new technology is amazing. I can network like never before. I can keep up with friends - old and new. I can connect with people I meet and find out all about them. I can share my life in video, photos, thoughts, songs, etc. I blogged about it here right after the election.

But does all this "connection" really, truly enrich my life? I guess the real answer is... Sometimes. In moderation. Yes and no. Not when I get obsessive about it. Not when I forgo real, face-to-face interaction with people I care about in favor of "connecting" with people I hardly know.

So now what? It's not practical to just pull the plug. But I don't typically do "moderation" very well. God, give me wisdom... I want to honor you with my time and use this technology for YOU.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

I was thinking something similar just last night, but you're far more articulate than I am. Good thoughts! Let me know what ideas you come up with. Moderation is hard!

Tony's 2 Cents said...

-you and me--can find accountability.
Matt--you're awesome. I miss you. It's been a just about a full year since you left--crazy--on to my comment:)
I'm really wanting to SHUT them off after work. 5pm-home and no interupptions. My cell phone rang once while reading Isella books before bed (I always keep it on Vibration) and she just looked at me and said, "You're phone, Papa." She totally could hear the vibration in my pocket (or feel it:)- And I told her. "You are more important!" I just don't want my kids viewing the phone/computer as their competitor.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin