Sunday, May 3, 2009

EGGS Retreat

I'm really grateful for Luke Gordon, Elizabeth Braun and the EGGS group at Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church. When we moved to Houston back in August, we knew it would be important for Josh to find a group of peers who were following Jesus with him. He and I checked out a few local churches, and we really liked what was going on at MDPC. Luke is a great guy who's passionate about middle schoolers. And to make things even better, there was a group of guys who had been meeting together in a mom's home for years. Elizabeth Braun has been hosting first SIGGs (SIxth Grade Guys), then SEGGs (SEventh Grade Guys) and now EGGs (Eight Grade Guys). (Of course next year could be a problem... Ninth Grade Guys... Oh well...)

EGGs met as often as they could throughout the year, sometimes on Tuesdays after school, sometimes on Saturday mornings. There was always lots and lots of food. Sometimes there was swimming or games. And there was always prayer and bible study. Josh made some really good friends through this great group of guys and their leaders.

I had the privilege of spending 24 hours with these guys this weekend. We got together Friday afternoon and drove out to a ranch about 90 minutes southwest of Houston. It was everything you'd want a Texas ranch to be: 4-wheelers, fishing, BBQ, cows, horses, pigs, dogs, lizards, big spiders... We had a blast.

I got to lead in worship and give a couple talks about the Holy Spirit... Friday night we talked about the Holy Spirit and His role in empowering us and revealing God to us. I shared about the journey my family and I have been on... following God as the Holy Spirit leads. Saturday morning I talked about how the Holy Spirit purifies us. I shared some of my struggles and the freedom that I have found in Christ... It was a great time, and I pray that my words will resonate with them as they go out from here. Remember: There is NOTHING we can do to make God love us any less. Thank God!

Here are some pictures from our time together:



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin