Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Finding An Unseen God: Reflections of a Former Atheist



Alicia Britt Chole's "Finding an Unseen God: Reflections of a Former Atheist" is an enjoyable, easy read. I truly liked her friendly, laid-back style of writing and her warmth, which practically bursts from the pages

What I did not find quite so compelling, unfortunately, are her arguments. She was eighteen years old when she became a Christian... Hardly a time in life when one's worldview is fully formed. She does a good job talking about her reasons for believing in God and, in particular, in Jesus. She uses four questions to evaluate one's worldview:

Is my belief system…consistent (at its core)?
Is my belief system…livable (and not just quotable)?
Is my belief system…sustainable (through life-size pain)?
Is my belief system…transferable (to others)?

I find her arguments to be weak, and I think she would get trounced in a debate with Hitchens or Dawkins. What I like, and what I think is always more powerful anyway, is her story. It is what Jesus has done in her life, how Jesus came into and transformed her life... That is what is compelling and attractive.

Check out Alicia's website here and her publisher's site here.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin