Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Bike

Just remembered this song tonight. It's a great one. Here's the Matt Nightingale Band (circa 2007) covering Amy Correia's "The Bike."



The Bike
Amy Correia

I became the owner of a red and rusted bicycle
Built like a tank from Sears and Roebuck, circa 1952
It had been entrusted to me by my late, great Uncle Pat
And I guess he didn't ride it much. Both tires on the bike were flat.

Pat had died at Christmastime in 1991
He had fallen off the wagon and had sunk into a Christmas funk
My father, he had found him two days after Pat had died
Well he drank himself to death one night in a little home he owned by the seaside
Well I took the bike, I cleaned it up, my father he patched up the tires
Am I going to town or just spinning my wheels?
And when I die, I wonder how it feels

Hey, and I'm ridin' around, ridin' around on it
Hey you know I'm ridin' around, ridin' around on it
Hey, I'm just ridin' around, ridin' around on it
Hey...

The funeral service was a few days later at a place down the street from where he had lived.
There wasn't a heck of a turnout. He had never married and he never had kids.
The coffin lid was open, Pat was lying inside
His sister had a picture of a poodle named Pepper. She put it in his hands and then she cried.

Now I'm riding through the city, through the smog and the summer heat
And I'm blowing through all of the red lights. I guess you could say I'm feeling lucky
And the taxis and the trucks, everybody's blowing their horns
And I got a bicycle bell to ring, and I got a notion to sing while I'm riding along

Hey, and I'm ridin' around, ridin' around on it
Hey you know I'm ridin' around, ridin' around on it
Hey, I'm just ridin' around, ridin' around on it
Hey...

Well I wonder if I ever really knew him at all
And I wonder can he see me
As I'm ridin' along, ridin' along?

The day that Pat was buried, the air was cold and clear
And we drove out to the cemetery and snow blew around in the air
And a hired man from the state, he played Taps on a coronet
And a flag was presented to his sister for time in the service that Pat had spent

When he used to ride on the bike, way back in '52
He was starting out on life, and the bike, it was brand new
And life was laid before him like a platter before a king
He was young and he was handsome, and the world was alive with meaning
And the world was alive with meaning

Hey, and I'm ridin' around, ridin' around on it
Hey you know I'm ridin' around, ridin' around on it
Hey, I'm just ridin' around, ridin' around on it
Hey...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin